Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Hope you remembered to wear green today. I forgot, but I did quilt in green... does it count?
This was a church humanitarian quilt effort in which other people (non-quilters) bought the fabric, batting, and thread and the quilter's assembled them...
This is what I ended up making with all of it.
And I've learned a few things...
1 - Never ever use a black back with a white quilt top... for lots of reasons.
2 - Using a 1/2" seam allowance instead of a 1/4" seam allowance makes a HUGE difference on this wonky nine patch... not even close to lining up!
I about quit right when I realized this...
(The requirements for the quilt included a 1/2" seam allowance for durability reasons.)
3 - NEVER use a high loft polyester batting and try to quilt it...
I had to take breaks so I wouldn't sweat to death trying to hold and control the weight and poof!
What a nightmare.

4 - I never knew how happy I could be to see a project finished and ready to go away.

And did I mention it is queen-sized?

If I could redo it all over again with everything corrected, I think I would love it and never be able to let it go.
As is, I hope someone really likes it.

4 comments:

  1. Well... I think it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I've seen this pattern on many blogs, but your quilt really makes me want to make it. Very cute:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I feel exactly the same way about my quilt. I'm so ashamed of it. Yours turned out great though. I learned that I will never make such a huge quilt ever again. Huge mistake for attempting to stipple it.

    ReplyDelete